The rantings of a curious man in a very strange world

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Peanut Butter fails at destroying evolution

For those of you who haven't seen it, a video is online of a man named Chuck Missler describing how evolution is disproved by the food industry. Now I respect that he can have his own opinion on how the world was created, but the campaign of misinformation is the aspect that really infuriates me. If you are so inclined you can look up peanut butter evolution on youtube, I won't describe his "experiment," but I will describe why it doesn't make sense.
Those who believe in evolution, and researched a possible way for the origin of life do not believe that life spontaneously spawned from a blob of matter exposed to energy. The idea is that an extremely complex combination of elements are needed to have a functioning organism. So the claimed blob would be an incredibly rare occurrence, not to mention the chances of it being exposed to energy as well as the organism surviving to reproduce. Odds are such a sequence of events wouldn't happen in a jar of peanut butter.
Even if it did you wouldn't see it, the organisms would be microscopic, what was Chuck expecting? I doubt a newly created chinchilla would fall out of the jar.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to take a moment to criticize the video you are referring to, as well as your opinions on it. I have many times opened a jar of peanut butter and found new life. I opened a jar of that Petter Pan stuff, I found tinker-bell, IN THE JAR.

    ReplyDelete